Shakespeare Micro-Short Project Part 2

A few existing films have inspired my concept.

King Kong (Peter Jackson 2005) – The relationship between Kong and Ann Darrow is so powerful and the audience sees this building through facial expression and body language rather than dialogue.

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

Elephant Man (David Lynch 1980) and Hunchback of Notre dame (William Dietaries 1939) – The main characters in both these films were seen as monsters or animals rather than men. Much like Shakespeare’s Caliban.

“I am not an elephant. I am not an animal! I am a human being!” John Merrick (Elephant Man 1980)

YouTube Preview Image

“I’m not a man, I’m not a beast, I’m about as shapeless as the man in the moon!” Quasimodo (Hunchback of Notre Dame 1939)

YouTube Preview Image

Iv also been watching an insane amount of Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes cartoons to get the feeling for the slapstick part of my project. Looking at their use of comedic timing and zip lines etc.

YouTube Preview Image

The work of sculptor David Wynne has also influenced me for this project. Especially “Boy with a Dolphin” (1975) and “Guy the Gorilla” (1962)

“The boy is being shown that if you trust the world, the thrills and great happiness are yours….if one meets a dolphin in the sea, he is the genial host, you the honoured guest.” (Wynne, 1975)

I rediscovered some photos from a visit to Highland Mystery World in Fort William from my childhood. A rush of nostalgia and also inspiration for my project came over me.

Here are some photos from my research travels in Fort William, Glencoe, Isle of Arran, and Killin.